Program Name: Toward a better and meaningful Involvement of developing country ngos in the global fund processes
Duration: 2009- 2010
Financial Partner: Ford Foundation
Eastern Europe & central Asia
Latin America & the Caribbean
- Dr Cheick Tidiane Tall (Communication Focal Point),
- Aminata Kane Baldé (Program Assistant)
The goal of this proposed project is to continue to ensure that the voices of developing countries’ civil society constituencies are accurately presented and reflected in the work of the Developing Country NGO Delegation in the governance and work of the Global Fund.
- Improve/consolidate a communication system and processes to ensure that Delegation members have adequate information between and during Global Fund Board meetings to fully participate in policy discussions and decision-making with the Funds Board and Secretariat; and that this communication system provides for external consultation and interaction with the constituencies that the delegation represents.
- Support the participation of Delegation members to attend Board meetings (including pre-meetings with other delegations);
- Developing the capacity of the delegation to undertake analytic work on policies that have a bearing on Global Fund functioning, at the board level and at its operational levels in the countries from where the delegation is constituted.
- The Developing country NGOs Delegation provides effective input to policies and strategies at the Board level
- Make sure the motions developed and adopted by Board respond to issues raised in pre-meetings
- Improved and timely responses to Fund Secretariat requests, including email voting
- NGOs in Developing countries get more involved in the Fund policy discussions and debates and provide input to Delegation members
- The Delegation is consulted more often by other Delegations
- Delegation members participate in discussions and decision making of the Delegation
- Support the flow of information within the delegation during and in-between Board meetings through emailing and conference calls
- Support the decision-making and voting – an important governance function – with the Board and Secretariat;
- Communicate effectively with other Delegations to prepare pre-Board meetings to discuss issues of mutual concern and priority;
- Liaise regularly with the other civil society CFPs, specifically with the Developed Country NGO and Communities Delegations;
- Communicate and consult with developing country NGOs - the constituency – regarding key policy issues and concerns;
- Communicate and consult with developing country NGOs - the constituency – regarding key policy issues and concerns; Ensure that such communication is being done in a timely manner and in the appropriate languages
- Coordinate, with the Fund Secretariat, the logistical arrangements for the participation of delegation members;
- Coordinate the travel and other logistical arrangements for Delegation members;
- Holding annual retreats to orient new delegation members and to plan delegation yearly work;
- Undertake a process of issue mapping – this would be a dynamic process, as issues would tend to come to the fore and recede based on external factors
- Create the background policy briefing papers for the Delegation on the focus issue areas
- Ensure that the policy standpoint of the Delegation is well articulated on paper, and that support is provided to the members of the Delegation sitting on the Board or Committee seats to effectively communicate these positions
- Provide information regarding possible policy allies and alliances that would further the Delegation’s point of view on the Board in a collegial manner.